“What the heck am I doing?! I’m so NOT ready for this.”
I had that thought the first time I did a session with a practice client. I knew that coaching was my calling, but I did NOT feel ready to get started.
In truth, I doubted I ever would be. When are you finally read to do that thing that scares you (and excites you at the same time)?
You’re wondering if you should get more qualifications, practice more, have more money in the bank to take the leap. Wait until that perfect moment when all the stars align and you finally feel ready to do this.
I hate to break it to you, but…
There’s no perfect moment and you’re never gonna feel ready. So, how do you start when you don’t feel ready?
Why Do You Wait Until You Feel Ready?
If there’s never a perfect time, why do you wait until you’re ready? Why put off the things that you know will make you happy?
Here’s the truth: your brain is designed to keep you safe. It thinks that anything new (whether good or bad) is dangerous. What if you make a mistake? What if you fail? What if people don’t like what you do?
In the face of all that uncertainty, your brain tells you a lie: “I don’t feel ready.”
If you believe you’re not ready, you’ll never take the leap. You’ll stay stuck in your comfort zone, right where your brain wants you. In your comfort zone, you won’t make mistakes. You won’t get criticised. You won’t fail.
You also won’t succeed. Your dreams will remain just that… dreams.
There’s a bigger danger than failing. It’s staying stuck in your comfort zone. Watching your life pass you. Feeling the pain of regret for not even giving your dreams a chance.
How much longer can you put up with that?
How To Take Action When You Don’t Feel Ready
The only way to build your dream business is to take action even when you don’t feel ready. Here’s how:
Reframe Negative Beliefs
Let’s start by getting clear on what your mind is telling you. Why does it think you’re not ready?
Maybe you want to be a coach, but you feel like you don’t have enough experience. Is that really true?
When I first felt the calling to switch to mindset coaching, I thought I didn’t have enough experience for it. My coach challenged me to play devil’s advocate and find reasons why I was already more than qualified for it:
- I have a background in psychology and have studied mindset for most of my life.
- I’ve studied with some incredible mindset coaches.
- I’ve overcome several old limiting beliefs, like “I’m too shy to do videos” and “If I’m more successful. than my partner, he’ll leave me”, so that I was able to go to the next level in my business.
- I’ve built a toolbox of mindset tools that I’ve successfully used on myself and other people.
- I’ve coached friends on mindset challenges, so they could take action towards their goals – and reach them.
- I did a few free sessions with practice clients on mindset challenges and they saw incredible shifts.
- I’m a great listener, very empathetic, and skilled at asking powerful questions (all skills a coach needs).
So why was I thinking I was not ready to do this?!
Your mind wants you to focus on the things you lack to keep you stuck in your comfort zone. When you challenge it, you realise you already have all the skills, resources, and experiences to do this – you’re way more ready than you give yourself credit for.
TAKE ACTION NOW
Grab pen and paper and answer these questions:
- Why don’t you feel ready to pursue this dream? Identify the limiting belief.
- Is this limiting belief really true?
- What proof do you have this limiting belief isn’t true?
- List all qualifications, experiences, skills, and resources you already have to make this dream happen.
Take Imperfect Action
You don’t need to have it all figured out to get started. You just need to take the first step.
What’s the first small step you can take to get closer to your goal? Maybe you can research some courses you can take to learn a new skill. Or you can buy the domain name for your website. Or just let a friend know you plan to start a podcast so they can hold you accountable.
Don’t worry if it’s not perfect. Nothing ever is. If you make the wrong choice, you can always course correct. If you pick the wrong course, you can ask for a refund and pick a different one. If you won’t like your domain name 6 months from now, you can get a new one.
Mistakes won’t kill your dreams. Not taking action will.
TAKE ACTION NOW
What’s the first smallest step you can take to reach your goal? Do it now (or, if you really can’t do it now, schedule it in your calendar now).
Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, fear will ALWAYS be there.
In her book Big Magic, Elizabeth Gilbert talks about how creativity (and your dreams) can ONLY coexist alongside fear. They’re conjoined twins.
Why? Because following your dreams requires vulnerability and putting yourself in situations where the outcome is uncertain. Fear hates that.
Instead of fighting fear, accept it’ll always come along with you. Just don’t let it drive:
Dearest fear: Creativity and I are about to go on a trip. I understand you’ll be joining us, because you always do. I acknowledge that you believe you have an important job to do. But I will also be doing my job, which is to work hard and stay focused. And Creativity will be doing its job, which is to remain stimulating and inspiring. There’s plenty of room in this vehicle for all of us, but understand this: Creativity and I are the only ones who will be taking any decisions along the way. You’re not allowed to suggest detours. You’re not allowed to fiddle with the temperature. Dude, you’re not even allowed to touch the radio. But above all else, you are absolutely forbidden to drive.Elizabeth Gilbert
You can substitute creativity with your dream. Figure out what that first small, imperfect step is, take fear by the hand, and do it anyway.
TAKE ACTION NOW
When the time comes to take that smallest step towards your goal you’ve just identified, take a deep breath, count to five, and go for it. You can do it.
Wrapping It Up
You’ll never gonna feel ready to pursue your dreams, so take action even when you don’t feel ready. Identify what’s keeping you stuck, challenge it, and take action one small step at a time. But the real secret is to feel the fear and do it anyway – even when you don’t feel ready.
Have you tried all the business strategies to get more clients and make more money, but nothing’s working? If you’re ready to drop the hustle and work on the ONE thing that’s really going to get you the results you crave – your mindset -, book your FREE Breakthrough Call with me.
In the call, you will:
- Get 1:1 coaching to identify the missing piece to your business success, so you can get out of strategy hell, ditch the hustle, and book ideal clients with ease.
- A clear, aligned strategy to get out of your own way, step into your 6+ figures mindset, and scale your impact + income in 90 days.
- A simple step you can take immediately to get into aligned action, so you can make 2023 the year you finally reach those big income + biz goals that have eluded you up until now.
This is also an exclusive opportunity for service-based fempreneurs to ask me any questions you have, see if we’re a good fit to work together, and find out how I can support you in making 2023 the year you finally make it big.
Spaces are strictly limited. If you’re seeing this, there’s still a space for you. Click here to book your spot now.