The numbers didn’t lie.
No matter how many hours I worked, how much money I invested, or the number of connections I made, my business wasn’t growing.
In theory, I was doing all the right things. I was engaging with my audience on social media. I was taking courses and investing in coaches to gain new skills. I launched new offerings and raised my prices to bring in more money.
Nothing worked. My revenue stayed the same. My audience didn’t grow.
What was going on?
It wasn’t until I enrolled in Denise Duffield Thomas’ Money Bootcamp that I realised what was holding me back.
In her programme, Denise talks about your “energetic income level,” the amount of money you’re allowing yourself to earn.
Once you reach that number (and I had reached it two years ago), you’ll unconsciously sabotage yourself so you’ll never go higher.
Your energetic income level is set by your subconscious mind and the beliefs it holds around money.
In my case, my energetic income level matched the exact amount of money my father was earning in his business.
My subconscious mind had made up a story of how it would be disrespectful for me to earn more than him. Unless I changed that story, my income wouldn’t grow.
Your limiting beliefs, the stories formed deep in your subconscious mind when you were younger, are now sabotaging all your best efforts at growing your business, creating closer relationships, and everything else you desire in life.
How do you break this self-sabotaging pattern? Here’s how to reprogram your subconscious mind for success so you can finally achieve all your big business and income goals:
Conscious VS Subconscious Mind
Did you know your conscious mind makes up only 10% of your mind? Your conscious mind involves all the things – like feeling, sensations, and memories, that are in your current awareness. Anything you’re thinking of and experiencing right now that you’re paying attention to.
Your subconscious mind makes up for the remaining 90% of your mind. It’s like a sponge that absorbs everything you’ve ever went through in your life:
👉 Every single memory you’ve had.
👉 Every strong emotions you’ve felt in your life.
👉 Every word and sentence you’ve heard (from your parents, peers, TV…) or read.
👉 Every experience, positive or negative, you’ve had.
All this stuff is stored in your subconscious mind, which then made up a story about it.
For example, if your parents were constantly complaining about a lack of money, your subconscious mind has formed a belief that there’s never enough money to go around. Even as you earn more and can afford a better lifestyle, the fear that you won’t have enough money stops you from enjoying what you have.
These limiting beliefs form between the ages of 0-7 years old! At that age, you haven’t developed your critical thinking skills yet. You take everything literally.
When you hear a thought or belief enough times, your brain will take it as truth. It’s now part of your unconscious programming and will determine every decision you make for the rest of your life – or until you uncover the belief and decide to change it.
The old emotions, beliefs systems, and thoughts stored in your subconscious mind create your current reality.
If you don’t like where you’re at and dream of something better, you need to reprogram your subconscious mind with new thoughts and beliefs, so you can make different choices and get different results.
How To Reprogram Your Subconscious Mind For Success
1. Visualise Yourself Living Your Dreams
Your subscious mind can’t tell the difference between reality and fantasy.
In 1995, researchers asked a group of people to pretend to play the piano. They then compared their brain scans with those of people who played the piano for real. The results? In both instances, the exact same areas of the brain were activated!
You can use this finding to your advantage. How? By visualising yourself building your 6+ figures business now. Every detail of it.
TAKE ACTION NOW:
Find a quiet space, put on some soothing meditation music and close your eyes. Take a few deep breaths and visualise every detail of your 6+ figures business and life:
- What work are you doing? What business are you building?
- What business projects are you currently working on?
- Who are your clients? And your colleagues? Do you have any employees?
- Where are you working from?
- Where do you live? What does every room look like?
- Are you living alone or with someone else?
- Do you have a partner? Children? A family?
- What does your partner look like? What does he do?
- How much money is your business earning? How much money are you earning?
- What are your hobbies?
- And anything else you can think of.
The more specific the vision, the better the results. But don’t just see the pictures in your mind. Feel like you would feel if all that came true.
The goal is to trick your mind into thinking it’s already happening, to prove to it that you can have it. Once your subconscious mind starts believing it, it’s only a matter of time before it comes true.
2. Identify Your Limiting Beliefs
If you don’t have what you say you want, there’s a limiting belief holding you back from achieving it.
A belief that was formed so long ago, you often don’t even realise you have it. It’s just common sense to you at this point. Question common sense. Just because you’ve been thinking something for a long time, doesn’t make it the truth.
TAKE ACTION NOW
Think of a goal you have, but haven’t achieved yet.
- What actions would help you achieve it? What do you need to do that you’re not doing? (Maybe it’s going live on IG. Or renting an office space for a few hours a week so you can work undisturbed).
- What’s stopping you from taking that action?
- What are you afraid will happen if you take that action?
- What’s behind the fear?
- Write down the limiting belief that’s behind your fear? (For example, if I rent an office space and put myself first, I won’t be around for my kids, and I’ll be a bad mum).
3. Reprogram Your Subconscious Mind With Empowering Beliefs
You don’t have to believe everything your mind tells you. Your thoughts and limiting beliefs are NOT the truth.
They’re what was programmed into your subconscious mind before you were old enough to question them. Now that you’ve identified them, you can question them.
Upon scrutiny, you’ll realise that a lot of these limiting beliefs are:
👉 Outdated (Maybe it was true you were shy as a kid, but it’s not true now)
👉 Wrong (I thought my dad wouldn’t love me anymore if I earned more than him 🙄 )
👉 Not even your own! (Maybe your parents think starting your business is scary and you’ve adopted that belief)
And yet these outdated, wrong, inherited beliefs are stopping you from reaching your business goals and getting the results you want!
It’s time to ditch these limiting beliefs and create new empowering ones that help you create the business and life you desire.
TAKE ACTION NOW
For every limiting belief you’ve uncovered, ask yourself:
- Was this belief true once? Is it still true now?
- Is this belief my own or did I inherit it from someone else?
- Is this belief 100% true? Do I have any proof that it is?
- Do I have any proof this belief is NOT true?
- What other possibilities are there? What else could be true?
- What belief would empower you to reach your goal?
Then, reframe this negative belief into a positive one.
For example, if you believe that putting yourself first and renting an office space makes you a bad mum, your new limiting belief can be, “putting myself first means I can better support my family” or “putting myself first makes me less reactive and a more present, loving mum”.
The key here is to reframe your belief into an affirmation your brain will actually believe. If the new belief doesn’t ring true, if it feels like a lie, your brain will reject it.
A way to make your affirmations more believable is to use these expressions:
- I’m getting better and better at ____________ every day.
- I’m learning to _______________________.
- I become more _______________________ every day.
TAKE ACTION NOW
Turn each negative belief into a positive affirmation your brain can and will believe. Then, start to reprogram your subconscious mind with it. Here are a few examples:
- Write it down on a piece of paper and hang it up where you’ll see it often.
- Set it up as a reminder on your phone.
- Set it as your desktop wallpaper on your phone or laptop.
- Repeat this affirmation as you brush your teeth with your left-hand (or right-hand, if you’re left-handed. This takes your brain out of automatic mode so you can focus on the affirmation and truly absorb it).
4. Design Your Environment For Success
Your environment has a big influence on your thoughts and beliefs.
I know that, when I work from a luxury hotel or private member club in Central London, I get a lot more done than what I work in my home office. Why?
I have more distractions at home. But, more than that, it’s the energy around me that’s different. A luxurious space inspires me to take action towards my business goals, so I can live a luxury lifestyle full-time.
The conversations around me are different too. When I work from a private members club, I’m surrounded by other entrepreneurs who are working towards their dreams too.
These successful women aren’t complaining about their job or how hard they have it. They excitedly share what projects they’re working on and what their successes has allowed them to create in their lives.
If your environment doesn’t inspire or support you in reaching your goals, it’s time to upgrade it… or move yourself to a different environment altogether.
TAKE ACTION NOW
- Where are you spending most of your time? (Work, family, free time).
- How do you feel in those spaces? Do they inspire or motivate you? Or do they deplete you?
- Who are you spending most of your time with? Do they energise you or deplete you?
- What changes could you make to your current environment so you can feel inspired to chase your goals? A few examples:
- Hang affirmations all over your house.
- Add fresh flowers to every room.
- Upgrade your furniture (this can be as simple as painting it a different colour).
- Work from a cafe or hotel that inspires you.
- Move to a neighbourhood you love (or spend more of your free time there).
- Turn off your TV and listen to inspiring podcasts instead.
- Paint your walls a different colour.
5. Act As If You’re Already Living Your Dream
The biggest lie society told us? The Have-Do-Be equation. It works like this:
“When I’ll have ________, then I’ll do __________, and I’ll be _____________”
For example, “When I’ll have enough money saved up, then I’ll start my business, and then I’ll be successful and rich.”
The problem with this equation? If you wait until you have something to get started, you may be waiting all your life.
The right equation is this: “I AM _________, so I do ___________, and then I have _______________.”
If you want to have a 6+ figures business, then you need to behave like a 6+ figures entrepreneur and invest in building your business – before you have the money in your bank account or any proof that you can make it.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying you need to spend money you don’t have and go broke to scale your business. But you need to embody that successful 6+ figures entrepreneur.
When a 6+ figures entrepreneur doesn’t have money, you know what she does? She find a way to find the money! She sells some stuff on eBay. She asks for a loan. She looks for freelancing work.
This applies to anything. If you desire financial freedom, then how does a person who already has it behave? What actions does she take every day?
When you act like if you already have it, your subconscious mind will soon catch on and you’ll reach your goals much faster.
TAKE ACTION NOW:
- Who do you need to become to reach your goals?
- How does that person think?
- What actions does she do everyday?
- Where does she live?
- Who does she hang out with?
- How does she dress?
- How does she spend her time?
- What are her habits (morning routine, evening routine, diet, fitness…)?
- How does she spend her money? What does she invest in?
- Looking back at everything you’ve written above, what’s one action you can start taking today to act as if?
Wrapping It Up
Your subconscious mind is the silent pilot of your life. The limiting beliefs you’ve formed before the age of 7 are now determining your actions and the results you’re getting (or not getting). To reprogram your subconscious mind for success, visualise your dream business and life, identify and rewrite your beliefs, design an environment for success and act as if. The more you think, act, and behave like the entrepreneur who has want you want, the sooner that’s gonna become your reality.